My Insomnia Is DifferentPosted by Sasha on Mar 8, 2012 in Uncategorized | 2 comments
Before you tell me that you have a special kind of insomnia, that your problem is different, or that your sleep mechanism is broken, stop. At some point, I thought all of these things. It may surprise you to know that pretty much everyone with a chronic problem thinks one or other of these things. It may also surprise you to know that none of them is ever true!
Because insomnia can feel so lonely, and so much like no one understands what you are going through (even doctors), and because sleeping pills and other remedies haven’t helped, it is hardly surprising that you begin to believe that there is something different, something broken, something ‘not quite right’ about you. Just think about it…most people think these thoughts at one point or another. Now, if everyone is thinking their insomnia is different, that is an awful lot of different types of insomnias out there, each one distinct from all the others….
I was convinced
1. My insomnia was worse than anyone else’s
2. My sleep mechanism was broken
3. My insomnia was somehow different
4. My ‘sleep switch’ had got stuck in the wrong position
5. I would never get better
Here’s the truth
1. There were (and still are) millions of people with insomnia just as bad as mine
2. There’s no such thing as a sleep mechanism
3. My insomnia was just the same as any other old insomnia
4. There’s no such thing as a sleep switch
5. I absolutely did get better